In mid-1991, the five parishes in Marion County were consolidated into one parish with four locations. On July 1, 1993, the official name of the parish was chosen to be “Holy Family Parish.” The existing four locations are listed below.
View Larger Map
Holy Redeemer Church was dedicated in 1901, even though there were no Catholics living in Tampa at the time. In the 1930’s, a new church was built. The old church was completely destroyed by fire in 1935. At the time of consolidation, the Tampa church was designated an oratory used for weddings, funerals, and monthly Mass.
Catholic Bohemian pioneers built the first frame church of St John Nepomucene in 1888, later used as a convent for the Sisters Adorers of the Blood of Christ. These nuns came to Pilsen in 1913, and finally built a new convent in 1950. A red brick church was completed in 1915, followed by a brick rectory in 1924. The interior of the church was renovated and a handicapped ramp was added in 2002. A celebrity from the parish was Msgr. Arthur Tonne, who achieved international fame as an author with his “Jokes for Priests” series of books and his book about Father Kapaun. Fr. Emil Kapaun was ordained on June 9, 1940, the first son of the parish to be ordained. Destined to become an international hero, he died a martyr’s death in a Korean prisoner-of-war camp in 1951. Before he left for the service, Fr. Kapaun served his native parish as administrator in 1943. He was declared a Servant of God in 1993, and his cause for canonization was opened in July 2008.
St Mark’s parish was canonically erected in 1950. However, diocesan archives give 1897 as establishment of the mission by Fr. John Huna. In 1860, the Jesuits started a station for German settlers, meeting in someone’s home. It wasn’t until 90 years later, in 1950, that official parish status began. Even years ago the parishioners understood the concept of stewardship, donating labor and money and holding fundraisers to build their new church in time for Christmas Mass 1951. The church hall and rectory were also built in the 60’s. In 2008, Fr. Hien Nguyen and a team of parishioners renovated the interior layout of the church, plus providing handicapped accessibility with an expanded parking area and a covered canopy. The project was completed in time for Christmas Mass 2008 [57 years after the church was built]. The Dedication Mass, along with the consecration of the new altar, was celebrated on December 27, 2008, the Feast of the Holy Family.
St. Patrick’s parish is one of the oldest Catholic parishes in the state, dating back to the early history of Kansas in 1877. The first Catholic Church was blessed and opened at the corner of 3rd and Doyle Streets. The 600 lb. bell that was added in the late 1880’s was later moved to the present church where it is still used. In 1913, the property between 8th & 9th St. on Marion Street was purchased as the new site for the church & rectory. The old church building was moved to the new location and the congregation continued to use it for several years. Then in 1922, the cornerstone for the present church building was laid, and blessed in 1923. A new rectory was built in 1952. After many years of sitting vacant, the rectory was torn down in August 2009.