New Policies for Fr. Kapaun Visitors
Policies for Visiting
St. John Nepomucene Church
and the Father Kapaun Museum
Set forth by the Father Kapaun Guild and Holy Family Parish, Marion County
Catholic Diocese of Wichita
- The Fr. Kapaun Museum is open for regular hours on Tuesdays and Fridays from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Large groups (10 or more) are requested to notify Harriet Bina at 620-381-1689 even if coming during these scheduled hours.
- To visit the Fr. Kapaun Museum outside regular hours, please call Harriet Bina at 620-381-1689 to set a time.
- Tours on Sunday cannot be accommodated.
- Group tours should be no larger than 60 people. A donation to the Chaplain Kapaun Legacy Fund is greatly appreciated, especially for large groups.
- Cancellations: Please let us know if you cannot make your tour. Every effort will be made to avoid cancelling tours, but occasionally a parish obligation (such as a funeral) will arise that will take precedence over tours. You will be contacted if this happens.
- Handicap Accessibility: Unfortunately, the Father Kapaun Museum, where most of Father Kapaun’s artifacts are housed, is an old rectory (priest’s home) with steps and currently does not have handicap accessibility. The church and statue are both handicap accessible. Please make us aware of any disability and we will do our best to accommodate you.
- No overnight retreats are allowed at Holy Family Parish, as the necessary facilities are not available. Overnight retreats can be held at the Spiritual Life Center in Wichita, 316-744-0167.
- Father Kapaun merchandise is available at the Father Kapaun Museum in Pilsen during open hours. Otherwise please visit www.FatherKapaun.org to purchase merchandise through the Father Kapaun Guild Office in Wichita.
GROUP TOUR OPTIONS
Listed below are group tour options for you to choose from.
||30 - 45 minutes|
|(Lunch is available for a set fee, except on Sundays, but arrangements must be made when the tour is scheduled.)|
PRIESTS AND CELEBRATING MASS
- All Catholic priests who wish to celebrate Mass at St. John Nepomucene Church must make reservations in advance with Rose at the Holy Family Parish office at 620-382-3369. Tour Masses on Sundays are not allowed.
- Priests from outside the Catholic Diocese of Wichita must provide a letter of suitability for each priest celebrant/concelebrant. This letter of suitability must be received by the Diocesan and Parish offices well in advance of the date of the Mass. Please detail the dates and location of desired Masses. A copy of the letter needs to be sent to both the Office of the Bishop and the Holy Family Parish Office:
|Office of the Bishop||Holy Family Parish Office|
|Catholic Diocese of Wichita||415 N. Cedar St.|
|424 N. Broadway||Marion, KS 66861|
|Wichita, KS 67202||620-382-3369|
|Or by email at:|
- All priests who have permission to celebrate Mass must be respectful of local custom and follow correct rubric
- If prior arrangements have not been made well in advance, the celebration of Mass will not be permitted.
PARISH SCHEDULE OF SACRAMENTS
- Sunday Mass in Pilsen is at 10:30am.
- Mass is also celebrated in Pilsen on Thursday mornings at 8am, unless there is a funeral or other extenuating circumstances.
- Confessions are heard a half hour before Mass on both Thursday and Sunday.
- As there is no resident priest in Pilsen, the Sacraments are not available outside of the regularly scheduled times.
- The only sanctioned walking pilgrimage to Pilsen is the annual Father Kapaun Walk, which is held in conjunction with Fr. Kapaun Day, the first Sunday in June.
- Other walking pilgrimages are not permitted, especially for groups associated with the Catholic Diocese of Wichita, including schools, youth groups, parishes, etc.
- St. John Nepomucene Church, Holy Family Parish, and the Catholic Diocese of Wichita are not responsible for any individual that chooses to walk to Pilsen in Pilgrimage. Please note that the roads to Pilsen are either unpaved country roads or are roads without sidewalks and that walking is not advised.
EVENTS AND ENGAGEMENTS OUTSIDE OF PILSEN
- The scheduling of all sanctioned events outside of St. John Nepomucene Church and Holy Family Parish, Marion County, need to be handled through the Father Kapaun Guild Office at the Chancery office in Wichita. This includes retreats, talks, conferences, pilgrimages, and any other events or entities that seek speakers or materials from the Father Kapaun Guild.