St. Mark, Marion
St Mark’s parish was canonically erected in 1950. However, diocesan archives give 1897 as establishment of the mission by Fr. John Huna. In 1860, the Jesuits started a station for German settlers, meeting in someone’s home. It wasn’t until 90 years later, in 1950, that official parish status began. Even years ago the parishioners understood the concept of stewardship, donating labor and money and holding fundraisers to build their new church in time for Christmas Mass 1951. The church hall and rectory were also built in the 60’s. In 2008, Fr. Hien Nguyen and a team of parishioners renovated the interior layout of the church, plus providing handicapped accessibility with an expanded parking area and a covered canopy. The project was completed in time for Christmas Mass 2008 [57 years after the church was built]. The Dedication Mass, along with the consecration of the new altar, was celebrated on December 27, 2008, the Feast of the Holy Family.