St. Patrick, Florence
St. Patrick’s parish is one of the oldest Catholic parishes in the state, dating back to the early history of Kansas in 1877. The first Catholic Church was blessed and opened at the corner of 3rd and Doyle Streets. The 600 lb. bell that was added in the late 1880’s was later moved to the present church where it is still used. In 1913, the property between 8th & 9th St. on Marion Street was purchased as the new site for the church & rectory. The old church building was moved to the new location and the congregation continued to use it for several years. Then in 1922, the cornerstone for the present church building was laid, and blessed in 1923. A new rectory was built in 1952. After many years of sitting vacant, the rectory was torn down in August 2009.